This 'flower' cinnamon roll activity can be done by the person with Alzheimer's living at home with a helper or in a small group setting. People with dementia at a higher level can help with the cutting and designing. Those of a lower level can help brush on the melted butter and sprinkle on the cinnamon. All can enjoy the wonderful aroma and taste!
'Flower' Cinnamon Roll Activity for Alzheimer's
- Start with a can of cinnamon roll dough or biscuit dough. Separate the rolls.
- Take one of the rolls and make 5 small cuts that start on the outside of the roll and go part way towards the center, to make the flower 'petals'.
- Brush the dough flowers with a mix of melted butter and cinnamon; add nutmeg, if you choose to add more flavor.
- Cut a maraschino cherry in half and put in in the center of the 'petals' to complete the flower.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Enjoy and talk about memories of baking, eating tasty breakfast treats, or about flowers.