Cooler temperatures and shorter days mean the approach of fall. Fall offers many wonderful activity ideas for persons with Alzheimer's and related dementia.
Fall Activities for Dementia Care
Early and Middle Stage Dementia Activity
- Go on a walk and discuss the various type of trees, noting the color the leaves change to.
- Find various colored leaves and press them between pieces of contact paper to create easy art
- Bake together, using seasonal fruits and vegetables - apple pie and pumpkin bread.
- Visit an apple orchard or pumpkin patch together. Or bring apples and pumpkins to the person.
- Play catch with a soft football or use college or pro football collectibles to discuss favorite teams.
- Dry corn cobs, then make into popcorn. Or try a Seed Art project.
- Rake leaves into a pile; if kids are around, let them jump in!
Late Stage Dementia Activity
- Bring in leaves from outdoors, put into a box or basin and allow the person to feel, see, and smell them.
- Throw up the leaves, so the person can see them "fall".
- Bake in the oven or use a spray fragrance for the aromas of pumpkin spice, apple pie, cinnamon.
- Taste items - pumpkin pie, apple pie filling, cinnamon ice cream. Or try an easy cinnamon roll recipe.
See our Autumn themed large piece puzzles for dementia below