Choosing Appropriate Alzheimer Activities in Dementia Care
There are many things to consider when choosing the appropriate activity for the person with dementia, such as the stage of dementia, the interests and background of the person, an activity done alone or with others, and more. Also, there are different types of activities that can be successful for the person. Use the guide below to determine what activities and MindStart products might be appropriate.
Choosing Activities by Stages of Dementia or 'Activity Level'
Life History of the Patient
- Former hobbies and interests
- Jobs held in the past
- Roles of the person played, such as a mother, a volunteer, or a church attendee.
Types of Activities for Alzheimer Patients
- Physical - walking, dancing, simple gardening
- Social - coffee with friends, reminiscing with family or friends
- Spiritual - familiar hymns and prayers, outdoor walks
- Daily life tasks - setting the table, making lunch, emptying the trash, watering plants
- Personal cares - brushing hair, getting dressed, eating